Monday, November 20, 2006

Fulbright to India: Preliminary Ruminations

Well, it's Monday, November 20. Two weeks from today I'll be on my way to India.

This will be the end of one journey and the beginning of another.

It's the end of one journey that began in early 2005, when a form letter from the Fulbright organization crossed my desk in my office at the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. The letter invited me--and a thousand other professors--to apply for a Fulbright Scholarship. It was not the first time such a letter had crossed my desk, but it was the first time I'd taken the time to read it and follow up on it.

I won an award to go lecture in India at Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, an all-women's university in Tirupati, South India, some 150 km (about 93 miles) from Chennai. I'll be there from four to six months.

This blog will tell the story of my experiences in India. I hope I keep it up, and that you will find it interesting reading as you accompany me along the way.

No comments: